Sunday, January 7, 2018

Uber Frugal Month: Day 6

I managed to get outside for a little while today -- divine! Walking through the snow, smelling the river and the pine trees, even seeing a bit of green grass peeking through the ice, was all lovely and worth the wet and chill.

The UFM challenge today is to get one's financial house in order.

I won't be signing up for Personal Capital or anything like that, simply because I don't want to input my banking details. Also, I've been in the habit of keeping a detailed ledger since we became self employed some years ago.


Today’s mantra: I can manage my money on my own! I will empower myself to learn what I need to learn in order to build a healthy financial future!
Today’s action:  Run through the other steps listed above.

Working through the challenge steps for today:
1. Pay down high interest debt.
We have none, so check!

2. Build an emergency fund.
My goal is to have a $6,000 fund by the end of the month. We are 75% there and will be the rest of the way within two weeks :)

3. Employer 401k, blah blah.
Not applicable as no employer.

4. Start investing.
That's the plan at the end of this month!

As for our net worth and debts. We have a mortgage so we owe $122k on our home. Our home is worth more than $122k, probably close to $190k at least, judging from recent sales in the neighborhood. So, for now I don't consider the home an asset or a debt. Once we decide whether to sell or not when we move, I may change how I consider it.

This means our net worth is currently only what is in our checking and saving account. This is going up, and will include investment accounts soon!!!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment