Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Uber Frugal Month: Day 19

I've been afflicted with a touch of fatigue. Nothing to be concerned about, it's just the annual "so sick of the freaking cold" fatigue combined with the quarterly "I am so overwhelmed by all my classes" fatigue.


The UFM today is about not falling prey to little purchases.
Today’s mantra: By incorporating frugal habits into the things we do automatically and everyday, we don’t have to expend energy calculating a budget or debating expenses--we are simply frugal by nature.
Today’s action: Write down everything you’re tempted to buy today because it’s only $...... and add it all up.
This is very timely, seeing as I fell prey to a little purchase today! Both DS2 and I were at loose ends. I didn't want to do homework, and the weather made outdoor pursuits an unsavory option. So, I gave in and took him out for frozen yogurt. Hey, it's only $5.....

It's odd, during the summer I'm really good at avoiding these little purchases most of the time, but in winter cabin fever takes over. I've thought long and hard on this conundrum, and I just can't think of a way to get out of the house in winter without spending at least a few dollars at a cafe or similar. We aren't big shopper, so window shopping isn't an option. The library is great for getting books, but the programs are aimed at smaller kids or elderly people.

Being happy staying home is an option, but it does get wearing when it goes on for days and days. I know some of this is a short term problem. Once we move, winter outdoor options will open up because our new home won't have as many freezing days or ice storms! For now, I think simply being aware of our need to treat in winter may be a good idea.

Instead treating indiscriminately so that the $5's become a daily expense (eep!), I need to make a strict treat budget. Actually, I think subtracting the treats from our new, lower entertainment budget, combined with constantly brainstorming free or low cost options, is the key. Also, much like our entertainment expense, it may be time to practice delayed treat gratification. Instead of going right out for ice cream when I think of it, instead plan an ice cream outing in the next few days. That way we have something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment