Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Uber Frugal Month: Day 17

I spent this evening reworking the menu plan. My spreadsheets for grocery and meal planning work exceptionally well. The only problem is the foods my family loves are the ones that cause me to pack on pounds. It's my fault -- my love for pasta, rich sauces, bread, and cheese runs deep. I can go months without even craving these items, but one bite leads me to binge and eat way to much.

Being a woman of contradictions, though, means I also have a very deep love from veggies and all the wholesome goodies. I've been vegetarian for awhile. I've decided to make the leap to 95% vegan, primarily for my health but also for the environmental benefits. The 5% non-vegan will be some dairy on Saturday date night, as well as I may opt for vegetarian as opposed to vegan options when eating out depending on my choices. We eat out rarely beyond our deli date, so not a huge issue.

I'll go into more detail about the revised menu plan in the next few days!


The UFM challenge today is about planning ahead.
Today’s mantra: Establish frugal habits and execute on them every day.
Today’s action: Think through a typical week and identify every opportunity where you can plan ahead and save money.
This is something I am working toward and I enjoyed reading today's challenge. Below is my typical week exercise:

Monday/Wednesday: I have an 8 am class and I do not get home until noon-ish. The afternoon and evening is typically filled with homework and little tasks that need to get done that were forgotten over the weekend. I need to make sure dinner items are thawed and ready. Always take a snack to school. Wake up early enough not to miss the bus, since this would mean I have to pay for parking.
 Tuesday/Thursday: Class is a little later so there isn't the rush. The main issue, particularly with Thursday, is boredom and burnout. This leads to the temptation to go out and eat or get a coffee. A snack and solid dinner plans are a must. I also need to have evening activity plans to overcome temptation. Taking a shower and getting into PJs early can help overcome the temptation in cold weather. Planning for evening walks can help in mild weather. Keeping a few items on hand to make a beverage treat is also a good idea.
Friday: No class, so this is typically a major homework day. I sometime nip out in the early afternoon to run any necessary errands. Evenings are with family -- it's frozen pizza and movie night.
Take a coffee with me to do errands so there is no temptation to get a frou-frou drink! Good day to check my library account, too. Since I'm out anyway, I can return books before I get a fine. Also, plan a movie a day or two in advance so I can get it at the library if it isn't on Netflix or free prime. This way no redbox or prime rental fee!
Saturday: The first half of the day is anything goes. I might go on a hike, do homework, have club meetings, lounge about. Rarely any temptation to spend, though. Evenings are the toughy -- date night. I've written extensively on how we are fighting date night temptations. To take it a step further, perhaps we should only take the cash we need for groceries and the deli stop. No money or cards means no way to spend ridiculous amounts at a pub.
Sunday: A boring day. Chores, usually visit my mom, spend the rest of the day doing weekend-y things like hiking, lounging, DIY stuff, or gardening. Honestly, very little temptation and I can't think of anything to plan for.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment