Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Uber Frugal Month Challenge: Day 9

Today was my first major public transportation challenge -- it was pouring down rain. I only have a lighter rain coat and at 34 F I needed something a bit warmer. I pull out our last working umbrella and it's no longer working....I started to grab my keys, resigned to paying for a day parking pass on campus.  But, in a fit of resolve I forced the umbrella into a somewhat workable form and set off.

Only to wait at the bus stop for 30 minutes as first one bus and then the next failed to arrive. Fortunately, I usually take an earlier bus than I need to, so when the third bus showed up a few minutes early (or the second showed up a few minutes late), I was fine. Halfway to campus there was a near accident, which sent everyone on the packed, standing room only bus, flying -- except for me. No clue how I managed that feat! Fortunately, no one was hurt and the rest of the day went as planned :)

Today's UFM challenge actually challenged me a bit more than those in the past! 
Today’s mantra: Don’t let your spending prevent you from doing what you want with your life. Rather, let frugality sculpt the life you crave.
Today’s action: Make a list of all the things you could do if you were financially independent.

Things I could/would do if financially independent:
1) Turn my focus fully upon my studies since I would no longer work.

2) Look into a private education opportunities for DS2.

3) Invest in the perfect coastal/mountain-side property.

4) Spend all summer traveling and camping.

5) Dedicate more time to microscopy.

6) Attend to some minor cosmetic health concerns for dear spouse.

I really feel like there is more. Staying up late and sleeping in occasionally. Being more spontaneous. I think I would just simply be able to be better than I am able currently.

On a side note....
I took the pantry challenge from a few days ago to heart. I mixed the last of the frozen Thanksgiving bean loaf with some frozen rice from who-knows-when to create a burrito filling for dinner tonight. I served it with some frozen zucchini-tomato salsa, from a huge batch I made last summer then promptly forgot about!

No comments:

Post a Comment