Friday, January 5, 2018

Uber Frugal Challenge: Day 5

I finally drove today :) No school, but DS1 had an activity to attend this evening. Free entertainment and free dinner, though!
There are a lot of these in my freezer...

The UFM challenge for today is about food. I like to think we are pretty good about food waste. What little is tossed usually ends up as compost. It's rare for leftovers to go to waste or for food to spoil before it is used.

Today's Mantra: Eat all the things!!!!
Today's action: Start combing through your pantry, freezer, and fridge and make plans for all the foodstuffs you find.

The biggest challenge around here is garden produce. I grow, can, dry, and freeze. Then, I put of using it over winter for fear of running out. Of course, this means we end up having to rush through it in late spring before the next batch of fresh produce begins to come in!

The other issue is I freeze to prevent waste. Soups get frozen to be used as casserole bases later. Leftover rice and beans are also typically frozen for later use, such as in burritos or taco salad. Currently, there are beans and rice in the freezer, but no soups.

Finally, there are a few pantry items that have just been sitting. Some rice flour purchased for a long forgotten recipe. Dry soy beans from failed soy milk experiments. A few spoonfuls of barley but not enough for a meal.

The Plan
This is for January, perhaps beyond. I'll reassess at the end of the month.
  • No produce purchases, instead I will use the preserved veggies and fruit. (Exceptions: Spinach, lettuce, and mushrooms. Mandarins, but only if $1/lb or less.)
  • Turn some of the billions of apples into apple butter. Use instead of buying jam.
  • Cook no more rice/bean dinners until the freezer store is used up.
  • Use that barley the next time I make lentil soup this month.
  • Start using a small amount of rice flour in baked goods, combining it with our regular low-gluten flour. I've found it doesn't negatively affect the outcome if only a small amount is used.
  • Figure out something to do with those soybeans. I have about two cups dry. Roasted soynuts look promising...
At the end of the month, I'll take a full inventory of all food stuffs before planning our major monthly grocery shop for February!

No comments:

Post a Comment